View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Had an association meeting last night. The VP of the association goes over some "you make the call" plays. One play reads like this:

A1 steals the ball from B1 at the division line and drives for an uncontested basket. B2 runs after A1 and violently pushes A1 from behind as he/she is in the act of shooting. The ball: 1. goes in the basket or 2. does not go in the basket. You make the call.

So his answer for situation 2 is what I expect - count basket, 2 shots plus ball at spot of foul.

But his answer for situation 1 was puzzling. He says, and he claimed to have a Case Book play to back it up, was that, if the shooter missed the shot, he'd get 4 shots plus the ball at the spot. 2 shots for the miss, plus 2 shots for the flagrant. I didn't say anything because he said he had a Case Book play, and no one else said anything either, but I was definitely unsure that he was correct.

So today I try and find the situation in the Case Book - I couldn't find it. I did find it in the Simplified and Illustrated book on page 79 (10-6 Pen 4), which says very clearly that the shooter would get 2 shots whether the shot goes in or not.

Way to screw up an interpretation for the whole Association, Mr. VP. Well, there were only about 60 people out of 300+ there, but still.