View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
the more they take. This may be a stretch, but I think some of the tiny things that are put under the microscope
on this forum are the root of a larger problem. When we talk about things like 0&00 that is one thing. I would like to see some of the specifics removed from the book and left under the 2-3 blanket. BUT, more and more things are entering the category: You just don't call that. The three second rule is the punch line in a hundred jokes. The traveling rule is being ripped to shreds every night.
When the defender was over the sideline up to his armpits and I gave a warning immediately followed by a T my assignor said "Technically, you were right, but don't make any more 'two bit' calls." Recently at a VB game on an out-of-bounds play A1 ran around a screen, 10-15 feet outside the sideline, and then reentered the court. Naturally, no call. I asked a coach friend if he was even aware of this rule. He said that he sorta knew it was a rule but only (insert your favorite "picky" official's name here) would make that call.

Where does it end?
I'll give you my two cents on the warning followed by the T. I'm doing a V game with a fairly inexperienced partner a month or so ago. He calls a plane warning violation on an throw-in. No problem. I see that he isn't going to go over to the table to tell the scorer to right it in the book so I put my hand up and go over there. Takes about 15 seconds and I'm back at my spot and give my partner the nod to inbound. Defensive player violates the plane again and my partner gives a T. Correct by rule. After the game, I ask my partner this question. "What did you say to the defender while I was at the table?" His answer is "nothing." To me, that's a COMPLETELY preventable technical foul. All he had to do was tell the defender that it would be a technical foul if they did it again and that their coach would probably be pretty unhappy with them. Maybe that's what your assignor was getting at.

Z