View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

BMS game. I'm L and the ball is on the far side within the arc so I slide to the lane and am about 4' off from the end line. A1 passes into the lane to A2 whom turns and goes for an easy bucket directly in front of me and right underneath the goal.

To me it looked as if A2 jumped towards the goal like he was going for a lay-up. As he makes his successful try, I can hear the coach and crowd yelling about something and it dawns on me A2 was pushed from behind and directly toewards me - but I never actually saw the *push* - as I was straightlined. (I did learn from this so no work on your mechanics stuff!)

Coach was upset about it and rightfully so. So I spoke to him right afterwards since I was now trailing on his side going the other way. Before he could make any comments I said, "Sorry coach I missed the push. I thought he jumped forward and I was straightlined." He said I needed to be watching that and was perturbed but did let it go and nothing further happened during the game.

It's a dangerous play/foul and protecting the shooter while in the air and vulnerable is my main concern. Does anybody hit their whistle on the coach/crowd noise when you realized something was going on and had an idea of what it was but didn't actually "see" it?

I've never called something I didn't actually see with my own eye's in any sport.

I also had a recent PC charge a coach told me I had missed as the T when it had occurred on the end line in the paint. From where I stood I couldn't tell if the B player was set or not. B hit the floor but I know there was very little contact between A & B.

To me this was in the primary of the L and he didn't make the call. Either way, I did not see either play well enough to make a call. Am I correct here by not making a call in either case?