Thread: Left Out To Dry
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

GV game last week, 3-man crew. Visiting team is #1 in the conference, home team pretty much no hope for playoffs. Home coach is on me from the tip; I stop sign him 4 minutes into the game. He calms down after the stop sign, but in the 2nd quarter I hear him start about me to my partner. During that quarter, I'm lead administering a free-throw, my one partner (U2 for the game, I'm U1) is trail next to home coach. I overhear home coach say "what does this kid think he's doing, reffing on ESPN?" Next trip down the floor, same set-up on another free-throw. Home coach now says to my partner "I didn't know they let 12 year olds referee in this league." I'm 21 by the way. Nothing from my partner except for a chuckle, and I do nothing because although I heard what he said, he's not talking to me. At halftime in the locker room, I played it off like the coach said it to me, and not that I heard the coach say it to my partner; my partner thinks it's hilarious, meanwhile my R is P-Oed that I didn't whack him. As we're walking out of the locker room, I tell the R what really happened, and now he's P-Oed at the other official for not protecting me. 3rd quarter I call a foul and go table-side, home coach starts on me again; as I go past his bench on the change in possession, he stares me down, shakes his head, and flips his hands at me...WHACK. Coach goes crazy, saying that he didn't say anything, yada yada yada. I told him that I had warned him earlier, and he didn't stop, so I pinned him, and walked away. Now he starts on my R that I have "no guts" for calling a T like that. After the Ts are shot and visiting team gets the ball inbounded ( I went opposite table and administered the throw in), home coach is still standing. Although I probably should have, I don't come across the floor and throw him. Instead, on a dead ball that happened really fast, the U2 who didn't do anything about the comments in the first place looks at me and tells me he'll take care of it. He forces a rotation so he can get table side, and as we transition down, instead of either granting the home team a time out or whacking the coach again, just calmly tells him to sit down. Now I look like an even bigger sissy for not coming across and whacking him. A few officials think I should report this to our comissioner. Thoughts?

P.S. Sorry this is so long everyone.