View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:57pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I went back into the archives on eteamz to research a similar subject. There was a huge debate two years ago over there (and perhaps it raged here as well) concerning different interpretations by J/R, PBUC, and Bremigan on the situation where a runner who is forced to a base misses that base, then scrambles back to touch it but gets tagged out before reaching the base. The bottom-line issue dealt with the idea of subsequently appealing that runner for initially missing the base, thereby gaining an advantageous fourth out.

In all the discussion on one of the threads, Pete Booth provided an email quote from Rick Roder that said the following: "I agree (along with many professional umpires I have discussed it with) that the appeal should be allowed, but should only be upheld for an out if R1 never did touch second. If he touched it after being tagged out scrambling back in, R1 would be safe on the appeal and the run would stand. If he never did touch second, the appeal would be upheld (a force out) and the run disallowed."

So I stand corrected, at least according to Roder's interpretation. A runner is allowed to touch a base after three outs are recorded to prevent an advantageous fourth out, even if that runner was the source of the third out.

Geez...I just hope there isn't any obstruction of that runner as he tries to correct his mistake.

Manny