View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowStripes
Before discussing the coach communication, might I add a thought about the technical foul? I won't disagree with your assessment that it was unsportsmanlike behavior that, in some instances, should result in the foul. But, in your comments you even suggest that the floor slapping might have also been as a result of his own frustration for committing the silly foul. Could you have saved yourself by giving him the glare instead of the instant technical? Often, I can give the evil stare and a player will quickly offer an apology and say "I'm just mad at myself." Even if that's not entirely true, you've made your point and drawn the line so you're absoultely covered if he does it again. You can then take the opportunity to politely explain to the player and/or coach that essentially a "mulligan" has been issued.

This would have prevented you from immediately fouling out a player with back to back fouls. Again, I don't know the game situation; maybe the player had been troublesome during the contest and deserved it. I just wanted to add a little to your thought process in terms of game managing preventative officiating.
So now a player from the other team also gets 1 "get out of jail free card"? ie: doesn't like the call, slaps the floor and offers an immediate apology. I would rather not give him the T that he earned but hey, if he wants it, then who am I to refrain?

In my capt mtg, I will get eye contact and while nodding my head usually say: "you know who your hot-heads are, you keep em in control so we don't have to". They will begin nodding their head and now I know we both understand what I just said. If something like a floor slap happens and that capt is right on top of his teammate, I'll allow him to handle it.

[Edited by ChrisSportsFan on Feb 1st, 2005 at 08:55 AM]