View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by closely_guarded
This is my first post but I've really enjoyed and learned from reading now for a few weeks.

I tend to communicate with coaches as little as possible as it tends to distract me from calling the game. Should I have let him engage me in conversation when I walked away? Should I have T'd him at any point for any of his comments? I don't want to be aloof, but I'm just not real good at having running converasations while the game is on.

It's really been a pretty good year with coaches. One T all year for the bench, one for a player (noted above). But, games like the other night can make me question if my "hands-off" philosophy with coaches is always best.
I mean this in a constructive way. You need to recognize the difference between when a Coach is being a jerk and when he has a reasonable question that deserves an answer. One that comes up often is block/charge. If the Coach saw it differently tell him what you saw. If it's not appropriate to communicate tell him you'll get back to him when you have a chance.

Really when you get right to it there's not much to talk about. Coach I answered your question it's time to move on.
I find that the vast majority of time that they just want to know that you're listening. That being said don't let them abuse you. If you have to take care of business you gotta do what you gotta do.