Thread: traveling?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

bbr - I am kiddig just a little bit. And I am learning that the foul call is quite subjective. The past two years I was a head boys var. bball coach. Our schedule required us to play in two different parts of the state. Our side of the state officials called things pretty tight, which was good for us, because we didn't have the bangers like other teams. That allowed us to hang in there. On the other side of the state officials let em play. Because we were not a physical team, we would get crushed. It was obvious that a foul on our side of the state was much different than on the other side of the state. Explain advantage/disadvantage in this situation. Is it not our job to keep things fair. 200 miles is the difference. No matter the distance we are all the NFHS. The consistency is the hardest part of this game for me to figure out as I mentioned in an earlier reply.
I officiated a varsity boys game earlier this year - 3 whistle crew - we decided in pregame that we would let em play and adjust on the go. Well, right away one of the coaches was complaining that there was pushing going on. So, we slowly tightened things down. At half we talked and felt that we needed to continue to tighten, but not overtighten. Which I feel we did an exceptional job of. The coach was still not happy. I got caught standing next to his bench, which he was already rewarded with a seatbelt, and I said to him - coach, you were complaining because you wanted us to tighten it up, so we did and your still complaining. I didn't here another word from him. The ironic thing is that his team were the ones doing the pushing etc.... So I don't think you can completely judge how you call a game by how the coaches are responding. Another example, same game - I make a foul call against the shooter. The other teams coach is crying to me that he thought it was pretty clean. So in other words he wants us to loosen it up. I don't know, I am new to the officiating world. Maybe we reached a medium here and didn't even realize it.