Thread: Self Pass
View Single Post
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Mark, I don't think the word rebound makes their play a shot. If they had meant a try or shot, I don't think they would have wrote "throws the ball." I can't think of another word other than "rebound" to describe the ball coming off the backboard. Perhaps the NF's vocabulary is as limited as mine!
Look up "rebound" in the definitions section of the rule book. An common alternative word that could be used to define a ball that bounces off the backboard not as the result of a try or tap is "carom."
I understand what the word rebound means but it's not limited to a shot coming of the backboard. The NF uses the term rebound throughout the casebook to describe incidents when your word "carom" might be used. That doesn't mean that the throw is considered a try.

4.4.4. After touching the official, the ball: ...(b)rebounds to the backcourt...

4.40.4B ...it hits the shoulder of: ...(b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through the basket.

7.2.2 ...strikes B1 who is inbounds and rebounds in flight directly from B1 ...

10.3.8B ...The ball rebounds from B1's face...

It's getting more and more difficult to defend that position that you're talking about. Legal play.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith