Thread: 18U State
View Single Post
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I sure wish the umpires around here had your attitude toward State tournaments that you guys do.

Whether FP or SP, we have to beg and threaten people to work our States. Too many games and not enough umpires, folks have gotten into a pattern of placing their umpiring into a "well, I'll do it if I have to" category.

When I came up, it was an honor to work Championship play. Even in regionals, it is tough to get what you need. Too many folks give you, "sure I can help, but they have to be...". Problem is that everyone wants to work the first two games of the day and go home.

But they all want to go to Nationals and think just because they work a few State tournaments it automatically qualifies them to go away. Well, if your in Delaware and want to go away, you better know your rules and mechanics. Our UIC will not send someone away who may cause embarrassment to the state. At the 1999 ASA National UIC Clinic, the National Staff made it quite clear that sending unqualified umpires to nationals would directly reflect on that State/Metro and it's UIC.

Fortunately, we have a commissioner who supports the umpires as much as humanly possible. In the past, Delaware would get one National every two or three years. This year, out of 125 umpires, 8 are going away to a National Six are through host-exchanges and two are At Large billets.

So, you would think that there would be some type of incentive to work States. I've already had to start begging for bodies for the five I am running this year.

Whatever! Joel, I'm glad to see you are excited and hope this leads to bigger and better things for you. Just remember, do it right.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on May 27th, 2001 at 08:46 AM]