View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Just thinking tonight on the way home from my game some of the things that I have learned in my first year of officiating school games.

1. I really enjoy the whole school atmosphere. I like the school spirit and the fight for your school part of the game. Seems like kids play harder for there school than they do for say an AAU team.

2. 99 times out of 100 sportsmanship is much greater at the school games than it is at the AAU or club level.

3. I think it is a prerequisite at some schools that from the V headcoach to the Freshman headcoach they have to be buttheads. Seems like if the big guy is a whinner the whole staff is.

4. The more I slow down the better I see the game. I was noticing tonight that I was real relaxed and the picture I was seeing seemed to be much broader.

5. My comfort level seems to rely heavily on the trust I have for my partner. Last night I had a GJV game in which I was working with a partner that I like but don't trust. Never felt comfortable all night and thought I called just a average game. People afterward told me I called a good game but I still feel I could have done better.

6. Really starting to believe in the whole advantage/disadvantage and let the player play through insignificant contact thing. Seems to make the game have a better flow and rewards good play and good players.

7. Sorry this may not be politically corect (I have two daughters that play) but GJV games are just ugly most of the time.

8. It is true what you all say the higher the level of the game the easier it is to officiate. When players know how to play the game is much easier to call.

9. Last but not least. I LOVE this thing we call work. I can't wait to get there every night. Just something about it I don't know if it is working for the kids or just being on the field of play again but I an hooked. It may kill me but what a way to go.

CentralINRef