View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
5. We have been asking these questions for at least 3 and possibly 4 years. Every coach knows they are coming. When the R walks over at the 3 minute mark, both coaches usually stand up and walk out to meet him. Everyone knows it is part of the ritual.
What about the new coaches? I work primarily HS games and you would be surprised by the amount of coaches that are totally unaware of common procedures. Especially those coaches that are new at the varsity level. Just because a procedure is in place does not mean every coach is aware or used to it. It is also possible that other officials are not asking these questions as it is required and this coach is responding the way he did because he is not commonly asked.

Quote:
6. In the 100s of games IÂ’ve been the R for, I have never had a smart-aleck remark. Of the 1000s done by my peers and friends, this is the only problem I have heard about.
That is not a justification for the policy. All it takes is one situation or the right situation and things can change drastically. Look at what happen in the NBA this year for example. The current procedures we have about sportsmanship and where we conduct that meeting all started from one reported event between an official and a player. Now because of this reported incident coaches have to be involved in the pregame meeting and a sportsmanship statement has to be made by the Referee (the same procedure filtered to all sports before the NF changed the rules). And not all officials did everything that was "required" or followed the procedure to the letter. So when I would come around and do what was required, there were many coaches unaware of what they were "required" to do.

Quote:
7. Every coach I’ve ever asked always answers with a yes. The only exception is at a BV site where I’ve reffed several times. The coach there has a short fuse but he knows this. When he is asked if he’ll display good sportsmanship, he always smiles and says “I’ll try”.

If I have learned anything in all my sports officiating career, it is not the common situation or play that gets us in trouble. It is the unusual play or situation that draws all the attention.

Peace