Thread: Self Pass
View Single Post
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Here's a corollary

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Since it was not a shot attempt, there is no loss of team control. If the ball caromed into the backcourt where it was touched by a member of team A, you would have an over and back call. Try explaining that one!

As to the first point, if he had already dribbled, picked up his dribble, then threw the ball off his own backboard, caught it and dribbled again, certainly you would have an illegal (double) dribble, since there was nothing in the act of throwing it off the backboard that would allow him to dribble again. To me, this would be the same as if he threw the ball out in front of him, then grabbed it, then started dribbling again.
I have to disagree with you Mark. 4.15.4c clearly states that this is perfectly legal.

After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent's backboard and catches the rebound; or (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; or (c) against his/her own backboard, catches the rebound and dribbles again. Ruling: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent's backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. In (c), the action is legal as a player's own backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, but does not constitute a part of a dribble.

As far as the BC play, we discussed it recently on McGriff. I believe that by rule, it would be a BC violation, unless you ruled that the pass off the backboard was a shot attempt.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith