Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
There is a big difference between lowering a shoulder and CONTACTING the defender. Most of the times I hear coaches or players saying this, there is no contact.

This is coachspeak much like "moving screen" is, we hear them asking for something that is not a foul without contact.
Bingo!

Yes the dribbler can lower his shoulder to get around a defender... if he gets that head and shoulders past the defender... then I've either got a no call or a blocking foul if the defender continues to move into the dribbler - because that is not legal guarding position.
I agree with you Tony. Specifically, if he gets head and shoulders past the TORSO of the defender. And I know this is stated in the rules somewhere, but I don't have my books with me right now.

I had this happen in a men's industrial league with a player complaining about my not calling PC when other team's player put their shoulders down and drove on them. I had to remind him of our pregame where I said let us do the officiating. Didn't happen in any of the varsity games I did (complaining, that is).