View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
From my experience, the coach/player has appreciated the honesty. I had one time where I was the new lead on a breakaway, and was in a bad position to see the swipe at the ball. I called the foul, and could see from the reaction of the player I probably blew it.
I have to disagree with one of your points. Just because a player reacted a certain way does not mean you blew the call. Players react all the time when they obviously committed a foul. Sometimes they react because they feel it was not them that fouled and their teammate did the deed.

Peace
Oh, I do agree with that. I've seen WAY too much of the "but I didn't do it" look. But in certain situations you can tell a genuine reaction from a normal "whine". In this case, it was late in the game, we had no problems from any of the players or coaches, and this player had been in the whole game. I could tell something was different. Nothing was said or done during the ensuing free throws, so I checked with my partner during a timeout soon after. Obviously, I could've avoided the entire thing by being in better position to make the call. But, in this case, I knew something was wrong, and I wanted to get confirmation before admitting it to the player. Plus, in this case, I didn't REALLY admit it, but she understood what I was getting at.