View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
I know some of you may cringe at actually uttering the words above but I want to know how many of you will actually tell a coach/plaer that you kicked one .
Over the past year (My first as an official official) I have done roughly 300 games with the skill level ranging from mens league to 5th grade CYO to AAU to High School Varsity (Pre season Tourneys)and I have admitted 3 times to either a player or coach that I did in fact miss a call .
Is this something that I should never do ? Is it acceptable at some levels but not others . Does it give you more credibility ? Or less ?
From personal experience in all 3 instances the coach / player has come up to me after each of the games and said they they really appreciated the fact that I admitted I missed a call . The first was a 5th grade CYO coach the second was a High School Varsity Coach and then last night it was a mens league player who said that in all the years he has been playing (He played D1) that is the first time he ever had an official admit he missed a call . As soon as the plyer said that it immediately raised a red flag and I thought that maybe I shouldn't have admitted I kicked it.....
Your feedback is appreciated
I've heard that it can be a good thing to say, but I still (6 years) haven't had the nerve. I did say once, though, "Theoretically, coach, a ref might be wrong now and then." It had the same effect, of calming the coach down. I'm working on my attitude this year, and have made great strides, but this is still up there on the horizon somewhere. Maybe I'll try it tonight.