Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Originally posted by South GA BBall Ref
5-10-1 Situation E in the Case Book states the following: "The timer and scorer and other officials can be used by the referee to gain definite information". However, one must take into account the "home cooking" possibilities. IMO, if there is not definite knowledge by either official, we go with what is on the clock.
SGa - Thanks for that reference. Yes, but the referee is still the one who makes the final decision and must assume responsibility for his(her) actions. He(she) can choose to ignore time keeper and still be in compliance with the rules. If he(she) has definite knowledge of time, he(she) cannot ignore and still be in compliance.
TravelinMan....I'm in your corner on this one. I just read the reference, but personally, I'll not take the timer's word alone.
I know. Didn't mean to sound like I was refuting your statement. Of course, after reading my post, I would have reacted the same way. BTW, Timekeeper's input can be very valuable, e.g., last second shot. I'm about 15 miles north of Columbus, but do games as far north as E. Coweta, Fayetteville, etc.