Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
B1 reaches over A1's left arm without contacting the arm and tips the ball away. After the ball is loose A1 and B1 make shoulder contact and both stumble and go to ground. Is this a black and white 'pushing' foul on B1? What if they don't go down but contact is still made?
WyMike,
Was B1 moving toward A1? If yes, foul on B1.
Was A1 put at a disadvantage, (ie, being on the floor caused by the action of B1)? If yes, foul on B1.

With no one falling, was A1 displaced or put at a disadvantage (ie, stumbling or displaced and unable to retrieve the ball) when the contact occurred? If yes, foul on B1. If no, incidental.

mick
From WyMikes description I read, B1 cleanly knocks the ball away, both players turn toward the ball and contact each other, so unless there is a hand pulling or an arm across holding this is incidental contact and a good defensive play by B1.
blindzebra,
Yeah, that could be one of several possible scenarios.

(The actual picture was not painted by the artist. Did they incidentally bump during a change of direction? Did B1 go through A1 due to momentum? )

Yet, another possibility is whether A1 or B1 was postioned behind the opponent, when they went for the ball, and may have become responsible for contact.
mick

Again, I read B1 along side of a chicken-winged A1. To knock the ball away, without contact, B1 has to be slightly in front of A1.

B1 tips the ball away and steps toward the ball, A1 pivots toward the ball and their SHOULDERS make contact causing them to go opposite directions.

That SCREAMS incidental contact, IMO.

Perhaps you view contact immediately after a loose ball differently than I do.