View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

We need to check

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Bandit -

Check the 2005 Fed Case Book, Play 2.25.1 Situation B. It reads:
"A pitch touches the bat, and without touching the catcher's hand or mitt, strikes the catcher's equipment, body, or the umpire. It the rebounds into the catcher's hands. RULING: This is not a foul tip. Such a ball becomes dead when it strikes the catcher's equipment, body, or umpire. 2-25-1g"

So, the ball that would be a foul tip, if if met the definition, is just another foul when it does not meet the definition.
Ok, This ruling has been changed for the 2005 season. And when the committee in charge of making sure old rulings from the case book were removed(rule 5.1.1 D #2)this one was missed. I believe you will find this and a couple of others from rule # 5 that have not been ommited and were left in by mistake. I am from Indiana and we have not yet received our 2005 rule books so I cannot go directly to it and look for the rule. But please take a moment and look at the front of I believe your 05 rule book and look at the new changes and plays mentioned there.

With NFHS taking the height rule out of the equation would you agree that when a foul ball is hit off of the catchers gear and still controlled this should be an out ? Off of the umpires gear, no. I have been asked to think of it this way....from the past...if a player turned to bunt and fouled the ball straight up, over the batter head, and it came to be trapped between the catchers mitt and chest protector and she then demonstrated control of the ball with her mit or bare hand...didn't we have an out for a foul ball ? So if you take the height requirement out, shouldn't we have an out for the ball that knows go directly from the bat to the protector and is then caught ?