Thread: New Topic!!!
View Single Post
Old Fri May 25, 2001, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
OK...I have said this on McGriff's board, so will say it here also.....why do we need a separate mechanic for both??
dj
I've said this on McGriff and I'll say it again here -- you need the mechanic for when you first blow the whistle, not later at the table. I had a game in February -- it was the final at a huge Jr Hi tourney. The gym was so full that the players couldn't step out of bounds if they wanted to, literally. And it was LOUD and I mean LOUDLOUDLOUD. You could barely hear the whistles, much less any verbal communication. I had a great partner and we did a lot of signalling, now here's the question. Coach yells time out, I blow the whistle, the game stops and everyone looks at me -- what's the signal? The players need to know what to do next, while I run to the table and report. Where do they go? If it's a violation they'll be at the sideline, if it's a foul, they'll be lining up for free throws, but how do I let them know to go to the bench? That's when you need a time-out mechanic.