View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Why is this different than a situation where both players are running?

Two players, on with the ball and dribbling and a defender, on a collision course, although the dribbler started moving to the point of collision AFTER the defender. The dribbler gets to the spot first and the defender collides with him. I have a foul on the defender.

I see no difference in the sirborne situation.

Agree. And if the defender gets to the spot first and the dribbler then collides with him, I have a foul on the dribbler.

Which is why I see no difference in the airborne situation either. The defender got to the spot first, and the shooter jumped into him.
If B1 is jumping from that spot yeah, but in these two plays B1 is not.

I'm seeing both plays as A1 having the ball near the 3 point line and B1 starting from the block opposite. A1 starts to move toward the basket and B1 runs across the lane and jumps from the block nearest A1, moving parallel to the endline, A1 jumps moving toward the basket and into the path of B1's jump...that was not started from a LGP and is not vertical.

The difference is in play #1, I'm going to apply 4-44-7 even though B1 is not vertical, because A1 initiated contact by altering their path to the basket. As described I think most of us would no-call play #1.

In play #2 B1 without LGP or verticality is IN the direct path of A1. That one is a block 100% of the time.