View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
I dont have my books with me but I do know that ---4-23-1
Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent. _ we all know it that when a player jumps they have picked their spot to come down. Player is taking away spot...

Gues we'll have to agree to disagree

Every player is entitled to a spot that they get to first WITHOUT illegally contacting an opponent. B1 DOES not have a spot on the floor to be entitled to because they are not on the floor and they did not jump toward that spot LEGALLY by all the rules I cited.

Fwiw, I agree with Kelvin on this one. If the defender jumps first, and his established jumping path would miss the shooter if the shooter didn't move, then the shooter can't jump after and into the defender--no matter what Reggie Miller says. The shooter has the same rights as any other player on the floor-- the "cone of vericality" above his head and also a landing spot if he jumps before a defender is in his jumping path. Iow, I kinda like rule 4.44.7- "The player with the ball is to be given no more protection or consideration than the defender in judging which player has violated the rules".