View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ditttoo,

I completely agree but I couldn't resist saying something else here. This is my first year calling varsity games and I think it's also the first time I have had a coach make a big deal of a rule in which they clearly had no idea what the rule is. I had a coach earlier in the year question a backcourt call but he knew I was a new ref and I was told by my partners he would probably test me a little because he has a good reputation as a coach and knowledge of the rules. I'll take your advice in the future and use the moment to educate. [/B]
I'm also relatively new to calling varsity games and to compound things I'm calling most of my games in a new association and I empathize with these comments. These coaches early on love to see "fresh meat" on the court and they try to "work" me as the new guy. Since I call HS games everyday and the area that I cover is very large, I deal with this tactic several times a week. I can't say it hasn't gotten really annoying. I think the only thing that I have do to help me is to be very definitive about my calls because any hint of tentativeness will be noticed. I think this is why I like my 3 person games better than my 2 person because the tableside mechanic has allowed me to better communicate with the coach. As annoying as the coaches can get, it's easy to remind myself that any minor annoyance the coached may cause me pales in comparison to the fun that I'm having calling varsity ball this year.