View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
End of a freshman boys game, home team losing by about 5. They are in the "foul to stop clock" mode with about 15 seconds left.

I call the foul as new trail and player becomes exasperated since its his fifth foul. He walks toward bench and keeps going. I'm watching him from about the free throw line. He hits the door, probably 15-20 feet behind bench. I'm gonna let this go, just let them shoot the 1 and 1 and go home.

He pushes the handle on the door, opens the door and walks out, hitting open air just about the same time my whistle gets air.

As partner was administering I gathered the captains together at division line and explained the call (had T'd one coach early in 3rd period so didn't feel like being friendly to him). The captains didn't understand the T so appreciated the explanation.

Pretty easy T. They're freshman, they'll learn.
15 seconds left in the game I understand that players aren't supposed to be leaving the bench area and you're right but wrong IMHO. This is something you could have overlooked given the circumstances JMO. You shouldn't be collecting Tees as if they were notches on your belt. They should be used as a game management tool.

Reminds me of a partner that I was working with that gave a Coach two technicals with 5 seconds left in the game. It happened so fast that I didn't even get to be the good cop after the first one was given. Oh well he had to do the paperwork.

[Edited by gordon30307 on Jan 20th, 2005 at 09:43 PM]