View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Tim,

I never said that you shouldn't post to a TWP thread. I never said, nor implied that it was wrong to disagree with someone else's thoughts or ideas. Don't put words in my mouth.

Your problem is that you can't take the fact that you were shown to be wrong. You stated that TWP's are a waste of time, intellect and bandwidth. Yet you and others made almost thirty posts on the topic. Which, if I'm not mistaken, wasted time, intellect and bandwidth.

You stated that by discussing TWP's we could confuse the newer umpires. Yet by posting multiple times to the thread, you and others give it status. You give it the hot topic icon on the main board and you pump up the number of responses which lends it credibility. Those things make people want to read the thread. By encouraging umpires to read the thread and get confused by the discussion, you are, by your actions, encouraging umpires to be confused. And yet you still don't seem to get that point.

Take a page out of the baseball broadcast book. I would make an analogy to the baseball broadcasters no longer showing fans who run out on the field. They used to show them running on the field, getting chase by security and being lead away. But then they realized that that was defeating the purpose, because the idiots that do that crave attention and by putting them on TV, they were giving them exactly what they wanted, attention. By showing them, they were, by their actions, actually encouraging others to run out on the field. The idiots knew that that running on the field would be an instant ticket to TV time.

By your and others continued posting to a TWP thread, your are encouraging others to read the thread and that is exactly what you don't want them to do. Your continued posting legitimizes the thread. Can't you see that?

Feel free to disagree, just don't take upwards of 25 posts to do it.

Lastly, I only called what you wrote rambling when you took 45 lines to answer a question that someone else correctly and adequately answered in two lines. Sorry, but that kind of answer just serves to add to the confusion. If that is what you mean by rambling, then so be it. Two lines would have sufficed.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates