Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Most of the time this action is a travel because the player will end the dribble with one foot on the floor. . . Many officials don't make this call on open lay-ups, even though the player does travel.
I disagree with this, Nevada. Most kids, even at the 7th/8th grade level, know how to properly shoot a lay-up. I almost never see traveling on an open lay-up, b/c they have the rhythm down right.
I disagree Chuck. If you sit there and watch a lay-up line before the game you will see them travel almost everytime on a layup. It just looks smooth and is never called a travel in a game. I got really good at picking out the pivot foot and started calling this but quickly went back to not calling it. It caused so much confusion and I'm sure my Technical count would increase 5 fold. I realized I wouldn't be doing Varsity ball much longer if I were making those calls.
I call it. Players and coaches all know when it is a travel. They just hate to be called on it. The one that drives them nuts is when you don't call it on the "step through" move, where the pivot foot is lifted and the ball is released on a shot before the pivot foot returns to the floor.