View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
An example would be: R1, 1 out. F1 in contact with the rubber allows the ball to slip out of his hand. The ball rolls off the mound toward the plate. It never crosses the foul line. There are those who insist that this is a pitch. Could it roll all the way to the plate to be offered at by the batter? I guess it's possible but in 45 years of baseball, I've never seen it or heard of it happening! But again, there are those who insist that this is a pitch.
A ball slipping out of a pitcher's hand is not a TWP. I see this once every couple of years. Those who insist that this is a pitch when it does not cross the foul line are plain ignorant. They can insist that it's a pitch all they want. We have lots of posters here who insist on being wrong. What else is new? The rule is clear. If it crosses the foul line it's a pitch, if not, it's a balk. Like you. I've never seen it cross the foul line.

I once saw a pitcher lose control on his delivery and threw the ball straight down. The ball bounced off the front of the mound and went 20 feet in the air, sailing over the catcher's head to the backstop. The rule is clear. We had a pitch.