View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Manny A
...and why the caustic "eteamsleeze" comments in the earlier TWP thread? I've been a long-standing member of eteamz, and I certainly don't recall ever seeing an attack of this forum over there.

I agree that some TWPs can be so far-fetched as to border on the ridiculous. But many of the situations and approved rulings you find in J/R, JEA, PBUC, etc., come pretty close to being plays you will probably never see in your umpiring careers. I've been umpiring LL Baseball for eight years now, and I've never seen a kid throw his glove at a batted ball, run the bases in reverse, lead off by going into the outfield, or stand on a fence to make a catch. And yet these and other situations are covered in written professional interpretations meant to educate umpires.

If you don't like to respond to TWPs, fine. But to state that they serve no useful purpose is, IMHO, a bit harsh. And to accuse those who partake in answering them as egotistical "I know the rules better than you" narcissists is insulting. What's wrong with a few "what ifs" to take one's mind off of wars, natural disasters, crime, and other real world events? Asking those kinds of questions here and other venues is akin to BS'ing over a few beers at Hooters after a day of tournament games. Is there any harm in that?

Hell, if Jose Canseco hadn't headed a ball over the fence, or Randy Johnson hadn't obliterated a dove with a pitch, those would be situations that meet the definition of TWPs in my mind.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Thank you for your time. I guess I'll just go back over to that other sleaze board and leave you serious umpires alone.

Manny Aponte
Bye