Thread: 5 Second count?
View Single Post
Old Thu May 17, 2001, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I definitely disagree with the idea that tossing the ball to the ref is an automatic violation. This happens quite often at that age level, I have found. When they have the ball out of bounds after a made basket, they can dance the jig for five seconds, I could care less what they do as long as the ball is still out of bounds. I usually just swat the ball back toward them without catching it or if it is close to them and they have just dropped it towards me, I will just let it go and give them a raised eyebrow look that lets them know it is theirs to get. I have not had one single murmur out of a coach or fan about handling this common situation like this.
I didn't say that tossing the ball at the official is a violation. I'm saying if the ball hits the official, who's OOB, it's a violation. I'm also not necessarily advocating calling it. I would probably step out of the way and call the ball OOB when it hit the bleachers, a fan or something else that was OOB. But I would love to see the rule that states that it isn't a violation. Can you supply it?

Throwing the ball off an official isn't any different than passing it off the wall behind the player. Can the thrower pass the ball to himself by throwing it off the back of the backboard, then passing it inbounds? If he can't, how is that any different than passing it off an official?

So many on this forum just give us their opinion or tell us what they do without ever cracking a rule book. If you're going to convince me that a play should be called a certain rule, cite a rule and explain your interpretation. You may or may not convince me but at least we're looking at some documentation. Not just guesses and opinions.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith