Thread: IND vs NE
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Wondering if anyone can clarify for me what the exact call was for this play:

Manning under center. Gets up (as he had done all game) to call an audible. This time though, he walked towards the left sideline, waving his hands. The ball was snapped to the running back.

Is this another version of the "sleeper" trick play. It is agianst the "spirit" of the game or is there a NFL rule about this?

Would this play be allowed to go off in NFHS games?
As TXMike said in the NFL, a FS is the call if a player places his hands "under the center" or on his knees (kind of looking like under the center) and anyone else gets the snap.

If they had him in shotgun, no foul would have been called. The NFL does not have the same "where's the tee" kind of stuff that the NF and NCAA has.

In NF, if he verbally says something, it is USC for sure, and if the use of hand gestures (I believe off the top of my head) is USC as well. I think we would have had a foul if the same thing occured in NF. That is one where if the head coach does not tell me about it when the U and I ask him if they have any "trick plays or formations" in our pregame, he will get nailed for it. The reason he should tell us of anything like that is so we can watch for it, and if it is illegal, tell them ahead of time, so they do not run it.