View Single Post
Old Thu May 17, 2001, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Rules Meeting

In Virginia, we are required to attend an annual "rules" clinic. This clinic is given several times at various locations throughout the state. If you fail to attend the clinic, you cannot officiate at the varsity level (at least in my association). We are given a card at the end of the clinic (used to be passed out at the beginning) and you record your name, SSAN, association, etc. and this goes to the state. BTW, the clinic is for officials and coaches. If I remember correctly, the schools are fined $50.00 if the coach/AD, or some other representative does not attend. If you attended a camp and the rules were covered at camp by a state official, you do not have to attend again until the next year.

Regarding exams, we have 2 opportunities in VA to take the exam. Once in August and again in December. This was done primarily because VA used to have girls "Fall Ball" (A and AA schools) and "Winter Ball" (AAA schools). Beginning this year, everyone will play Winter Ball. In my association, you have to score 85 or better and attend the rules clinic to officiate at the varsity level. You also have to attend a 3-person clinic to work playoffs. We hold a 3-person clinc twice a year. We have about 8 or 9 meetings per season and you are allowed to miss 2 (unless officiating) without being fined ($15.00).