Thread: TASO Test
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ajcr55

Not a TASO umpire, but I'll give these a shot.

Took the TASO softball test today and there were two questions I felt were incorrectly graded.

10. When interference is called on a runner for interfering with a foul fly ball, the runner is out and a strike is called on the batter.
TASO scored as true. I feel correct answer should be false. According to rule 8-13-exception a foul ball is called, not a strike. Makes a difference if 2 strikes on the batter.
Since you say this ia a TASO test, not NFHS or someone else, I'll stick with the standard that there is probably a note in the rule book which probably states it is a strike if there were less than two in the FP game and a strike in SP (not knowing if SP is involved as it is still played at the HS level in some areas).
Quote:

11. A dead ball is called if runner is tagged out after being obstructed.
TASO scored as true. I feel correct answer is false. Not always will a dead ball be called if the runner makes the base that the umpire feels they would have obtained.
This one is easy. If a runner who was previously obstructed reaches the base to which the umpire believed they would have attained had the obstruction not occured, they are no longer an "obstructed" runner, hence the question would not apply in such a situation.

Now, I have no doubt that you may have an issue with the wording of the question, but I bet that is what the testmakers were thinking d:-)

Good luck in the upcoming season.