View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrm21711
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by MrUmpire
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

If the umps legally should have received the back pay, ect...they deserve it. If not, then they do not. Although MLB is being made out to be the "bad guy," the umpires resigned themselves. There is no shame in rescinding a regination when you realize what the alternative is. The Tim McClellands, Mark Hirschbecks, Derryl Cousins, and Tim Welkes should be commended for not resigning. Lets look at this situation logically. The umpires had become bigger than the game. Anybody watching the 1995 playoffs cannot argue that Eric Gregg in the Florida/Atlanta series and Brinkman in the World Series were a joke.
First,
I believe Tim McClelland and Tim Welke both did submit a letter of resignation. Their resignations were not accepted by MLB. Derryl Cousins was not a member of the union at the time and thus he was not represented by Richie Phillips.

Second, there is no doubt that their strategy of resigning was disasterous. These men suffered the consequences many times over. I am pleased that MLB has finally settled and that Bob Davidson, Tom Hallion, and Ed Hickox will soon be returning to the major leagues. In addition, I believe that those that returned in 2002 have done a good job upon their return to the major leagues. Two of them, Joe West and Gary Darling are crew chiefs, jobs that are now assigned based on merit.

And finally, as to the comments regarding Eric Gregg and Joe Brinkman, it is true that they both went through a period of substandard umpiring. But, I believe, that if you watched Brinkman last season (2004), he was at the top of his game. He no longer sets up 3 feet behind the catcher and he no longer makes delayed, lackadaisical calls behind the plate or on the bases.