View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The Manager's Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by dddunn3d
After I had explained what I saw on the play and why I ruled the way I did, the defensive manager(while turning away) said, "I'll just tell him next time to run into the runner." And there you have it. I agree with DG that a fielder who quits on the ball is not helping himself to get the interference call.

One step further: How about this same situation but instead as R2 turns back for 2B he realizes he may run into the SS, and stops completely before crossing the SS's path. At the same time the SS also stops because he thinks he may be run into by R2. Now we have two players in the middle of the infield just standing there. How would you rule in this instance?
I would never coach a fielder to run into runners. That could lead to an obstruction call. I would coach them to never give up on a batted ball (fly or grounder)and the rest will take care of itself. The fielder is not out there to draw interference calls, he is out there to field his position.

On your one step further play; there is nothing to rule on unless something else you have not mentioned happens, like the runner contacts the SS as he reaches for the bouncing ball. The runner avoided the fielder, which he must do, and the fielder gave up on the ball, which he should not do. It bounced, I would rule on what happens next, if anything does.

[Edited by DG on Jan 16th, 2005 at 02:35 PM]