View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sc/nc ref
I had a JV boy's game tonight, 2 man crew. 1st quarter, I am the lead official. White team has ball in front of blue team's bench. White player drives to the basket on my side of the floor. Blue player commits a blocking foul, big collision follows, white player continues shooting motion. I am focused on the collision and blow my whistle and give my preliminary block signal. As a pass my partner I ask him if the ball went in the basket. He said it did not. I report the foul to the table and go opposite (SC has not adopted going tableside yet). The clock operator has already put 2 points on the scoreboard. I look at my partner and ask him again if the ball went in the basket. He looked unsure, but said no. I went to the table, and all 3 at the table said the ball went in the basket. The white team coach said the ball went in, players on the bench for the blue team said the ball went in, and of course the crowd said the ball went in. The Coach for the blue team says "If neither of you saw it go in, you can't count it". I told the table that we would not count it and shoot 2. Of course, the kid misses both, and they later lose in overtime. What would you have done if your partner spaced out on you in that situation? He apologized afterwards, saying that he has out there.
The scorer and timekeeper are "minor officials" and they are there to assist you. If they said the ball went in then you should have counted the basket.