View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

NCAA Women's does it the correct way. Why? Because by rule a BLARGE is impossible. Either the defender has obtained/established a legal guarding position or he has not.

By rule a blarge is NOT impossible. I'll agree that in practice the woman's method seems cleaner, someone's gotta give up their call. But in theory it is certainly possible that both officials saw something the other one didn't, calling fouls is judgement. And by rule no official has the right to over rule another official's judgement.

And since I don't work ncaa w rules I'll bite the bullet and go with the double foul on these.

Dan:

If B1 has obtained/established a legal guarding position against A1, and has maintained that position when A1 makes contact with B1 in B1 chest, you cannot have a block, you have to have a charge. If B1 does not have a legal guarding position then B1 is blocking.

You cannot have a BLARGE. Either it is a block or a charge, you cannot have both. That fact that we have casebook plays and approved rulings telling us that we should call a double foul is absolute nonsense. Just read the definition for guarding.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio