View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
When did you guys start to feel comfortable at the varsity level? Did it take a few years? Several officials on my board tell me they went through the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I feel great some games and feel I did a good job, then the setback!
It depended on the level of varsity game you were talking about. My first full season of varsity was with both boy's and girl's basketball. Girl's basketball was the easiest transition. The crowds were smaller in those games and they has the atmosphere of many freshman games. They really did not bring that big of a challenge to me and I got used to those games. But when I first did them it took me some time to get over the fact I was working a varsity game. The next transition was working Boy's games. The crowds were much bigger and intense and the scrutiny was much higher. That took some getting used to with a packed house and more people getting on you. But by the end of my first year I was alright with that level. After that I found I was more and more comfortable. There even was an adjustment on the Boy's side when I started working bigger schools (Class AA here). The talent was much better, but the crowds were not always bigger than Class A schools. I just had to get used to having to call things above and near the rim consistently or seeing play above the rim. I just recently got used to working the bigger games where I was not almost hyperventilating before the game. All I can say it is a process and you will make mistakes. I have made many mistakes, but if you hustle and get the obvious calls right you will be fine. There is no magic bullet except for working more and more games.

Peace