View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
I blew the whistle, as soon as he caught the ball. He released a shot almost simultaneous with the whistle. I believe the ball was in the air, by the time I got air into the whistle. My partner and I spoke briefly as he wasn't quite sure what had transpired. He took the lead and announced to the coach that the ball was in the air (he was also in the lead position). We incorrectly counted the basket and to add insult to injury awarded the ball to the defense utilizing the AP Arrow.

The goal should have only counted if the whistle had sounded after the ball went in. In that case, we would have counted the goal and awarded the ball to the defense for a normal throw-in after any made basket. No need for the AP Arrow.

The defensive team's coach tried to reason that the whistle was for an OOB Violation, therefore the play should have been dead for that reason (with the catch). If so, the offense would be given the ball back at the nearest OOB spot and we would of or should have played on. No AP Arrow.

I guess I'm learning the hard way. Unfortunately, I can't say I love learning through my mistakes.
Hmmm, seems we've had this discussion before. As I recall (and my recollection ain't always as good as my grammar), if the ball is in the air when the inadvertent whistle blows, the shot counts. Rather than go to the arrow, the non-shooting team gets the ball oob on the endline for a throw-in with the ability to run the baseline. Am I wrong?