View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 25, 2000, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

First off, 'Joe Bob' read all the rules in rule 2, section 2, once the officials are on the floor and for as long as they are on the floor, they have jurisdiction.

Ok KDM, per your questions, first of all as an official myself and the majority of our board we wouldn't let others shoot and or practice during this period which is not part of their game.
If you do however let them practice, and you also decide to stay on the floor as you stated, then all rules apply. Since when officials are on the floor they have jurisdiction, since these players that are practicing, are doing so 'prior' to their game, technicals should be applied for the dunking or hanging infractions per person.
Hopefully no one should ever have eight infractions of this before the start of a game, since you be starting with a lot of shots and minus a coach or two.
If you were not to be the officials for the second game, I would tell the following officials of the incidents and would assume that they would follow through with the apropriate actions.

As per the rules used as a guide line refer to all of rule 2, section 2. And also to rule 10, section 3, art. 5...

As for a player getting hurt and sueing you? Our board carries liability insurance for such instances, I would assume that most boards do the same. As an official on the floor part of our duties are that of the saftey of the players. If a player is hurt because of our negligence on the floor we are liable.

My own persoanal belief and recommendation to others is to not allow any non players of that game to be on the floor during the time period for that particular game. Even though the game administration has given them permission, the officials have jurisdiction over all, as long as they are on the floor.