Thread: Missed base
View Single Post
Old Sun May 13, 2001, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Oooh, I don't know, that's a very iffy interpretation, Steve. "Penalties" refers to an award of bases and nullification of outs. As you know, an award of bases NEVER removes the responsibility of the runners to touch the bases in order. Revising history to say that the runner DID touch the bag just because of obstruction doesn't really qualify, in my interpretation. Remember, the rules state that "A RUN (or SCORE) is the score made by an offensive player who advances from batter to runner and touches first, second, third and home bases in that order" (OBR 2.00). The other rules that cover missed bases only tell us how and when to enforce 2.00 RUN. Your interpretation simply creates an exception to 2.00 RUN that I don't think the rules allow.

P-Sz

Patrick,

Are you seriously telling me that you'd uphold an appeal for a missed base when the defense's illegal act caused the runner to miss the base?

Say it ain't so!

I'm with Steve on this one - EXCEPT I wouldn't require the runner to touch a missed base caused by the defense's illegal act even under Type A obstruction!

C'mon guys! Don't let the defense benefit for doing something illegal. That just ain't kosher.