Thread: Missed base
View Single Post
Old Sat May 12, 2001, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Per 4.22 of NAPBL :
(2) The second type of obstruction (Official Rule 7.06(b)) deals with cases when the runner is obstructed while no play
is being made on him. Examples of this type of obstruction include:
1. Batter-runner is obstructed in rounding first base on a base hit while ball is in the outfield.
2. Batter-runner is obstructed before reaching first base on a ball hit to the outfield.
3. Runner from first steals second; catcher's throw is wild and goes into center field; runner is obstructed in attempting to
advance to third base. Ball is loose in outfield when obstruction occurs.
4. Runner from second is obstructed while rounding third base on a bit to the outfield.
5. Any other example where no play is being made directly on the runner at the moment he is obstructed.
Under this section of the obstruction rule, the obstruction is to be signaled by the umpire pointing laterally at the obstruction
while calling loudly and clearly, "That's obstruction." The ball is not dead, however, and the umpire shall allow play to
continue until all play has ceased and no further action is possible. At that moment, he shall call "Time" and impose such
penalties, if any, that in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction.
It is important to note that in cases occurring under
this section of the obstruction rule, the umpire shall not call "Time" until all action has ceased and no further play is possible.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Based upon this, since no direct play is being made upon the runner at the moment he is obstructed, this would be type B obstruction allowing play to continue. My judgement in the penalty phase allows me to nullify the act of obstruction. Therefore, I nullify the missed base, since the obstruction caused it, and will not honor the appeal.

Note: Had this been type A obstruction where direct play is made upon the runner at the moment of obstruction, I would award him any base I thought he could obtain but would have to award a minimum of 1 base. The runner WOULD be required to touch any missed bases under type A obstruction.
Oooh, I don't know, that's a very iffy interpretation, Steve. "Penalties" refers to an award of bases and nullification of outs. As you know, an award of bases NEVER removes the responsibility of the runners to touch the bases in order. Revising history to say that the runner DID touch the bag just because of obstruction doesn't really qualify, in my interpretation. Remember, the rules state that "A RUN (or SCORE) is the score made by an offensive player who advances from batter to runner and touches first, second, third and home bases in that order" (OBR 2.00). The other rules that cover missed bases only tell us how and when to enforce 2.00 RUN. Your interpretation simply creates an exception to 2.00 RUN that I don't think the rules allow.

P-Sz