Thread: Youth League
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

I MIGHT have stuck around to answer the questions...depends on how the day was going.

As for the role model issue. The role model in a kids life should be his/her parents and maybe their pastor/rabbi/priest. If you feel the need to have your kids look at others for examples why not have them look to a young man or woman who has agreed to risk EVERYTHING, including their life, in order to protect and preserve their way of life. Or, maybe look to the various forms of media for examples of people who overcome a lot more adversity than most kids will ever face just to compete...forget about making it as a pro.

I heard a story about a year ago about a young wrestler who was asked to face a young boy with Downs Syndrone in a wrestling match. The handicapped kid had worked for his entire high school life with the wrestling team just hoping to one day have a match. All the other wrestler was asked to do was make it look good before he won the match. When the match started, he was so impressed with the handicapped child's spirit, attitude and determination the he let himself be pinned. Either one of those young men are good examples of how you should conduct yourself at a human being.

We don't look to people like Van Cliburn, Jay Leno, Tom Cruise, etc. to be role models for our kids. They have also been blessed with a gift to entertain. So why look to a 19 year old kid the can play basketball/football/baseball?

I'll get off my soap box now...sorry