Thread: Youth League
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Parents have to teach their kids that athletes, musicians, politicians, movie stars, and other celebrities are people just like everyone else. While it's okay to admire, even adulate someone for their excellence in something we value, it's irresponsible of society to pin all the "role model" responsibility on them. They are people. People make mistakes.

Sometimes I think pro athletes get a raw deal, because whenever they screw up it's some huge deal - but if Hugh Grant gets caught with a prostitute, it's somehow less severe, and even becomes a quirky part of his charm and appeal.

I don't think Barkley ever meant that pro athletes should NEVER be concerned about being a good example to kids, he was just reminding people that parents, teachers, coaches, pastors, club leaders - people who the child spends the majority of their time with - SHOULD be the main influence in the child's life.

The fact that WE are willing to shell out big money for NBA games, merchandise, CD's, movies, etc, some of which goes to these celebrities, does not make them responsible for our kids' behaviour.