Thread: Youth League
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 03:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: A wise man once said..

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
I don't understand why the professional athletes are supposed to be the role models....for the most part these are 20 something year old kids with a lot of disposable income who surround themselves with people who tell them they are great . They are paid (and paid well) to do a job not to raise your kid ! I wish they were all like a Grant Hill or Tim Duncan but they are not they are just young kids .
My question to you is that if your kid gets caught cheating/stealing will you blame the people at Enron or Martha Stewart for being poor role models ?
I do understand what you are trying to say but you can't blame a kids behavior on the NBA.....try looking a little more closely to home

Sincerely
Charles Barkley
As much as I enjoy Charles, this is one of the biggest loads of crap he's ever uttered. The fact is, they get paid tons of money to play basketball because they are role models. Because fans like to watch them. And because kids like to emulate them (buy the same shoes, wear the same jersey, shoot the same shots, and yes, treat the officials the same way). Any athlete who has product endorsement contracts is directly making money for being a role model.

If it weren't for the adulation and hero worship displayed towards these men, they wouldn't get paid 1/10th their salary, because the NBA wouldn't be anywhere near as profitable as it is. With that money comes a lot of responsibility.