View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

If the ball is strong side, next to the baseline, does the trail or lead signal the three point try?

From memory, either one can. Depends on how much is going on in the paint.
The Lead has coverage responsibility outside of the 3 point line, below FT line extended. This is another reason why the Lead in the Women's game rotates a lot more.

Quote:

I watched the officials signal illegal contact two different ways. The first used an open palm with a hatchet chop motion, the second used a closed fist with a hitting motion to signal. Which way is correct?

By the book, the first way is probably 'correct.' However, many college officials tend to be a bit looser with their foul reporting mechanics - demonstrating what was done rather than an 'official' signal. This tends to be a matter of personal (and assignor) preference.
Actually the proper mechanic is the closed fist. But that is when you look at the CCA Manual. I do not know that anyone at that level really nitpicks that type of stuff.

Quote:

I also noticed that the trail always chopped the clock in. Is that conference mechanic or is that practiced nation wide?

Nationwide for women's ball - sneaking in to some men's crews.

You see this more when officials are using the Precision Timing System. At least that is what I have noticed. Outside of that I do not see it very often. It also seems like less and less places are using the PTS.

Peace