View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TerpZebra
Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
I took my youngest daughter to a women's college game. I have some question reguarding rules and mechanics.

Is there a 10 second count in the backcourt?
there is no 10 second backcourt count.

Quote:

Is there a 5 second count in the frontcourt?

closely guarded (5 seconds) is counted anywhere on the court, but only on a held ball situation

Quote:

If the ball is strong side, next to the baseline, does the trail or lead signal the three point try?

The women's mechanics are similiar to the NBA. The Lead has 3-point attempts on strong side below the free throw line. The Trail above.

Quote:

I watched the officials signal illegal contact two different ways. The first used an open palm with a hatchet chop motion, the second used a closed fist with a hitting motion to signal. Which way is correct?

Both are correct.

Quote:

I also noticed that the trail always chopped the clock in. Is that conference mechanic or is that practiced nation wide?

This is a nationwide women's mechanic. When the ball stays in the front court, the lead sounds their whistle and the trail raises their hand to chop the clock. this way the table can see when to start the clock better.

Quote:

Finally, I noticed that while shooting free throws, the women standing along the lane lines stand on block higher up from the baseline than the men. Can they enter when the ball is released, or must they wait until it gets to the rim?

They are moved up to ease excessive contact. They are allowed to enter when it is released.

Quote:

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
Anytime! The more information I can spread about women's mechanics, the better!

TerpZebra