View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef

Is there a 10 second count in the backcourt?

Nope - now that you know, I expect you to laugh at the morons in the stands who scream for a ten second violation when the shot clock hits 20. (The real dumb ones call for it at 25.)

Quote:

Is there a 5 second count in the frontcourt?

Yes, sort of. Women's college rules have a five second closely-guarded count anywhere on the court (front or back court), but it only applies when A1 is holding the ball and a defender is within 3 (not 6) feet.

Quote:

If the ball is strong side, next to the baseline, does the trail or lead signal the three point try?

From memory, either one can. Depends on how much is going on in the paint.

Quote:

I watched the officials signal illegal contact two different ways. The first used an open palm with a hatchet chop motion, the second used a closed fist with a hitting motion to signal. Which way is correct?

By the book, the first way is probably 'correct.' However, many college officials tend to be a bit looser with their foul reporting mechanics - demonstrating what was done rather than an 'official' signal. This tends to be a matter of personal (and assignor) preference.

Quote:

I also noticed that the trail always chopped the clock in. Is that conference mechanic or is that practiced nation wide?

Nationwide for women's ball - sneaking in to some men's crews.

Quote:

Finally, I noticed that while shooting free throws, the women standing along the lane lines stand on block higher up from the baseline than the men. Can they enter when the ball is released, or must they wait until it gets to the rim?

They're supposed to be standing a block higher.

Rules regarding players on the lane/outside remain the same.