View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy G
Need some input guys and gals.

Doing a JV game in a semi-packed house with 2 good teams. From the start of the game, coach 1 is on my case, basically using the U word. As in, "You gotta call that foul." And, his players were on the same page.

Finally, at about 4 min in 2nd quarter, his player drives into the lane and has the ball stolen. As I am running down the side line going with the fast break, he is up, screaming, waving his arms. So, I called a technical foul on him for unsportsman-like behavior.

The game is over at 6:45 PM and at 7:05 the assigner is on my cell phone. In our discussion, he asked 4 questions.
1. Did he use foul language?
2. Did I warn him?
3. Would I call the same foul in my college games?
4. Did it make the game better?

My answers: no, no, I don’t know, yes (his kids stopped reffing, too).

So, this is what I need help with. When do you give a coach a warning, and when do you just bang him?

The discussion with my assignor focused on when to give coaches warnings. After thinking about it for a few days, I reached this rubric. If the coach is ignorant of a rule (I know, that never happens) we should politely review the appropriate rules with them in the spirit of educating them. They study how to play the game and often have little time to restudy rules and approved interpretations as they change over time. For example, in the same game, I "warned" the opposing coach not to come onto the floor (it was a very narrow gym) a reviewed the consequences if he failed to follow the rule. In distinction, I don’t think we have to remind them how to behave; an adult should know. We don't warn the players, "don't hit the shooter" before we call a foul. Because he was making a public spectacle of himself in his protest, I judged he was behaving poorly and he gave me no choice.

So, fellow officials, do I have it right? Or, are other considerations I have missed.

Thanks in advance.

Roy

Did you waited until the player made the lay up before calling the T?