Thread: Partner...
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Some senior officials will do that to an "older" male as I have experienced it. I am in my 4th season and am 42 and have been treated like the village idiot by a few guys who let me know that they are really doing the assignor and me a big favor by "slumming" and working a sophomore game. I just smile and let them talk about themselves and their big time college schedule. I don't feel inferior, I am starting to get a few varsity games myself and though I know I can get better, I also know that I am a good official to work with. There are just some really arrogant people out there, not just in officiating but in all walks of life. At least in officiating you only have to deal with them for about an hour and a half, get what you can out of the game and move on. I have worked with arrogant jerks that I couldn't stand in pregame, but did learn something from during the game. I think that Rainmaker made a good point that you need to be confident and assured when meeting and pregaming with your partner. Even if they are a much more experienced official, make it clear that although you respect that experience, you believe that you can hold your own on the floor with them.