Thread: Partner...
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kristal_15
I reffed a game with a senior official not too long ago who really didn't impress me with his attitude...

Although I do understand I'm am only 16 and have been officiating for only 3 yrs now, he insisted on taking over the game, calling everything in my coverage area, sometimes totally ignoring the NFHS mechanics and making us both look unprofessional and well....dumb. He even made a comment to both coach explaining that I was a rookie and to take it "easy" on me. Now i know that i don't have very much experience, but I did pass the exam with a very good mark and I know I can definitley hold my own on the court. I also am more than willing to learn and be given pointers by my partner, in fact it is much appreciated. But how do I handle situations like this, do I approach my partner? Do I mention something or let it go?

Thank you
At half time I would have asked him to help you with high school mechanics by doing the remainder of the game using the proper mechanics. It was bad enough he was calling your primary but to tell both Coaches that you were a "rookie" was out of line. You learned an important lesson. When you become a veteran official I'm sure that you won't treat the rookies the way that you were treated.

Good luck and have a great season.